Brian Scudamore was one class short of graduating from high school when he dropped out to focus on his business. Brian had seen an old beat-up truck hauling away junk, and thought he could create his own business hauling away junk and take it to the next level. Since it's start in 1989, 1-800-Got-Junk now has 173 Franchise partners in Canada, the United States, and Australia. Brian has found a great deal of success and modeled his business to become a franchise from the beginning. What really stood out to me during the interview is how modest and down to earth Brian is. He is so friendly, outgoing, and willing to help other entrepreneurs.
Brian's 1-800-Got -Junk? website can be found at www.1800gotjunk.com.
Episode 17 Show Notes – In this episode Brian talks about
- How he got the idea to launch 1-800-Got-Junk?
- The importance of building all businesses with the franchise mindset
- The benefits of buying into a franchise
- How to franchise your own business
- The cost and legal requirements to start a franchise
- How to get massive PR – (1-800-GOT-JUNK? was on Oprah!)
- Why you have to hire slowly
- How brands can cross promote
- How to take the road less traveled
This episode is sponsored by Shopify. To start the online store you've always dreamed about go to ThinkEntreprneneurship.com/shopify for your free 14 day trial. By signing up through the link above or below, you are helping support the Think Entrepreneurship Podcast. Thanks so much!
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- Audible.com Free Audio Book and 30 day Trial Affiliate Link
- Wow 1 Day Painting
- You Move Me
Brian's Favorite Book and Podcast
The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber – Paperback or Ebook
Take the Road Less Traveled” – Robert Frost
Thanks so much and Cheers from Bozeman, Montana!
I really appreciate you checking out the Think Entrepreneurship Podcast and will work hard to improve each and every episode as time goes on.
If you have a couple minutes and could leave a quick review on iTunes it would help a ton! Simply go to the link below, click view in iTunes, and then on rating/write a review. Shoot me an email to let me know you wrote a review and I will give you a shout out on the Podcast!