Have you ever thought of getting an 800 number for your small business? In the past, it has been expensive to get an 800 number and it was a process to set one up. Now, with the help of companies like Grasshopper.com you can get an 800 number within minutes, set it up for multiple phones, forward calls to cellphones, and manage the whole system online.
Why I decided to get an 800 number
When I started SignsoftheMountains.com (an internet retail store that sells trail signs) I wanted to build credibility and provide my customers with a toll free number to use. I also wanted to have multiple extensions for sales personal and be able to answer the 800 number on the go.
What are the Benefits of having an 800 number?
1. Professionalism – An 800 number looks more professional to your customers and makes you look like a bigger and more established business. Having a dedicated business number for your company with a professional greeting increases your customers trust and confidence in purchasing from you.
2. Consistency – Having an 800 number allows you to grow your business and keep the same number throughout the process. With an 800 number you can add an unlimited number of extensions, forward calls, create voicemail greetings for each extension, and provide your customers with the same number throughout your companies growth.
3. Cost – 800 numbers are toll free and thus make it free for any customer to call your phone number.
Disadvantages: They have not created an app for the smart phone yet which would make it easier to call out from your 800 number. However, I simply return calls on our business cell number so it isn't a big deal. I love having the portability of answering my 800 number anywhere I go. Grasshopper does have an application in the works that I'd expect will be out within the next year.
How do you go about getting an 800 number and who's service do I recommend?
After spending about a week researching 800 number services I ended up going with a company named Grasshopper. Grasshopper advertises themselves to entrepreneurs as being affordable, easy to use, professional, and flexible. After my research I found that Grasshopper was very affordable, had many positive reviews, and would be helpful for my growing internet retail business.
1. To get started, go to Grasshopper.com (affiliate link) and click on Pricing and Signup in the upper right side.
2. Choose a plan for your 800 number. All plans can be cancelled without a termination fee and there are no long term commitments. I started with the $12 pay as you go plan and eventually moved up to a plan that included more minutes at a set price.
4. Choose your 800 number. (Custom 800 numbers including the prefixes: (800,888,866,877,etc) are a $30.00 one time fee. However if you choose a random number that starts with 888, 866, 855, or 877 there is no setup fee.
5. Enter your Payment information and the click continue. Your new 800 number will be instantly activated and you can login to setup your phones, voicemail, and so on.
Here are some videos about how grasshopper works.
I've been using Grasshopper for my 800 number since mid 2011. It was easy to set up and I love how I can manage it all online. All of the voicemails are emailed to my phone and I was able to set up a label on my Smartphone so that I know if the call is business related. I display the 800 number in bold letters on my banner for the internet retail store (SignsoftheMountains.com – Screenshot Shown below). I'd highly recommend getting an 800 number for your business if you work nationally with clients.
If you do decide to get an 800 number and found my review helpful, I'd appreciate you clicking on one of the affiliate links in this post as I will get a small fee for recommending a product that I use and believe in. You can also check out my 800 number services reviews post and my updated Grasshopper 800 number review.
Please comment below if you have any questions about getting an 800 number or if you have experience using a service like Grasshopper.com.